Can My Daughter-in-law’s Ex Keep Her and My Son From Moving Out of State?

Share the Knowledge!

‘We live in South Carolina and my son is getting married to a girl that had a daughter by her last boy friend. The girl and her boy friend were not married but he does pay some small amount of child support although they have not been to court. He sees his daughter about three times a month. My son and his new wife are moving to Alaska where my son has a new job with the federal government. Can the ex-boy friend keep my son and his wife from moving to Alaska?’

[NOTE: Articles and answers on DearEsq., while written and published by lawyers, do not constitute legal advice, and no attorney-client relationship is formed by your reading of this information. You should always consult with an attorney for any legal situations.]

It’s possible, depending on the specifics of the case, but not very likely, given that the move is for a legitimate reason (your son’s job). What is more likely is that your son’s wife will be ordered to pay at least half of the cost of travel required to allow her ex to exercise his time with their child.

Share the Knowledge!

Author: House Attorney

A house attorney has answered this question.