Can My Child Custody Order Be Modified?

Share the Knowledge!

I am 15-years-old and my parents are divorced. I am currently living with my mom in Alabama. My father lives in Florida and I would rather live with him, but my mom won’t let me. What can I do to live with my dad?

[NOTE: Articles and answers on DearEsq., while written and published by lawyers, do not constitute legal advice, and no attorney-client relationship is formed by your reading of this information. You should always consult with an attorney for any legal situations.]

You can voice your concerns to both of your parents and request for them to modify the current custody order. Your parents may agree to let you live with your father, or in the alternative, your father can file a petition with the court to have the current child custody order modified if an agreement is not reached.

The court will consider several factors in determining whether or not to modify the current order. Most importantly, the court will do what is in your best interest.

Share the Knowledge!

Author: House Attorney