Can My 13-Year-Old Son Make His Own Choice as to Where He Would Like to Live?

Share the Knowledge!

Can my 13-year-old son make his own choice as to where he would like to live?

[NOTE: Articles and answers on DearEsq., while written and published by lawyers, do not constitute legal advice, and no attorney-client relationship is formed by your reading of this information. You should always consult with an attorney for any legal situations.]

No. Unless your child is legally emancipated from you, then he cannot leave your home without your permission. If he leaves your home without your consent, then you may contact the authorities to report a runaway. The police will help you locate and return him into your custody.

If this is in regard to a child custody dispute you have with your child’s father, then most states will not permit a minor child to choose which parent they would like to with. However, depending on the family law provisions of your state, if he is 12-years-old or older, the judge may hear his testimony about which parent he would prefer to reside with. Note, the judge is not obligated to place him in his preferred home.

Share the Knowledge!

Author: House Attorney