Can I Put My Boyfriend’s Name on My Child’s Birth Certificate?

Note: The DearEsq free 'ask a lawyer' site is offered as a free informational service to the public and is not intended as legal advice. Laws vary from state-to-state, and in addition every situation is unique, and relevant facts may not be known. The answer to the question posed below may not apply to in your state or to your situation. For legal advice in your state and your situation you should consult with an attorney in your state who is familiar with the rules and laws in your state.

My daughter just had a baby. She and the biological father are not together and her new boyfriend is putting his name on the birth certificate. Can he do this legally without getting in trouble? Can the biological father cause trouble if he does?

Your daughter’s boyfriend can have his name put on the child’s birth certificate (unless your state law prohibits it). This will allow him to have parental rights. However, the child’s biological father can still claim paternity as well to assert his parental rights. The boyfriend’s name on the birth certificate will not completely circumvent the biological father from obtaining parental rights under the law.