Can I File for Child Support if my Son is 18 and in College?

Share the Knowledge!

“My son’s father and I were never married. I have never taken him to court for child support. My son is 18. His father has contributed in the past to his tuition and general support. My son is now going to college full time and his father is not giving any financial assistance at all. Can I file for child support now for the first time? I LIVE IN NEW YORK CITY.”

[NOTE: Articles and answers on DearEsq., while written and published by lawyers, do not constitute legal advice, and no attorney-client relationship is formed by your reading of this information. You should always consult with an attorney for any legal situations.]

Likely not. In most jurisdictions an initial action for the support of a child cannot be commenced after the child has reached majority (18).

Share the Knowledge!

Author: House Attorney

A house attorney has answered this question.

Leave a Reply