Can I File A Claim Of Elder Abuse On My Mother’s Behalf?

Share the Knowledge!

I am one of 5 siblings and my father is deceased. Mom is 85 with diagnosed dementia which is worse some days, better others. I have just found out that two of my brothers took my mom seven months ago and mom deeded everything she owns to a sister-in-law and one brother. Do I have any recourse?

[NOTE: Articles and answers on DearEsq., while written and published by lawyers, do not constitute legal advice, and no attorney-client relationship is formed by your reading of this information. You should always consult with an attorney for any legal situations.]

If you believe your mother was unduly influenced by your siblings – a situation which is unfortunately all too common with older people – there are definitely ways to try to deal with it. I would definitely advise that you meet with an attorney in your area who specializes in elder law, and in particular financial elder abuse.

Typically, there may be several different procedural ways to accomplish this, possibly including a lawsuit or even criminal charges. These are all based, of course, on the assumption that your mother didn’t decide to do this of her own free will (how was her condition seven months ago?) If this was your brothers’ idea and not hers, then there may be a way to hold them accountable.

Share the Knowledge!

Author: House Attorney