Can Daughter of Deceased Woman Sue her Step-Father for Money Owed to Mother?

Share the Knowledge!

“My mother passed away and my step-father owed my mother $3,200 for back maintenance, can I sue my step-father for the money he owed my mother?”

[NOTE: Articles and answers on DearEsq., while written and published by lawyers, do not constitute legal advice, and no attorney-client relationship is formed by your reading of this information. You should always consult with an attorney for any legal situations.]

It sounds like you are the executor of her estate, and these payments are needed to cover her final expenses.  If this is the case, you can file against your step-father on behalf of her estate.  In this case, you should contact an attorney in your jurisdiction that practices estate and trust law.

Share the Knowledge!

Author: House Attorney

A house attorney has answered this question.