Can Child Protective Services Terminate a Father’s Rights?

Share the Knowledge!

Can CPS terminate a father’s rights if there was never a birth certificate signed or a right of parentage determined?

[NOTE: Articles and answers on DearEsq., while written and published by lawyers, do not constitute legal advice, and no attorney-client relationship is formed by your reading of this information. You should always consult with an attorney for any legal situations.]

The termination of parental rights is usually court mandated in most jurisdictions. CPS may submit a request based on specific grounds to have a father’s rights terminated. Typically, if a child is born to a married woman, her husband is the presumed father and must be named in a suit seeking to restrict or terminate parental rights. Additionally, if the mother is not married when a child is born and no man has been adjudicated to be the father, then the alleged father may request for paternity to be determined to protect his paternal rights.

You should consult with a family law attorney within your jurisdiction for more information regarding CPS termination of father’s parental rights.

Share the Knowledge!

Author: House Attorney