Can a Minor with a Baby Get Married Without Their Parents’ Consent?

Share the Knowledge!

“I’m a sixteen year old from Oklahoma and I have a child. My boyfriend and I wish to get married, but only his parents agree to let us. We are capable of supporting ourselves and the baby. Is there any way we are able to get married without my parent’s consent?”

[NOTE: Articles and answers on DearEsq., while written and published by lawyers, do not constitute legal advice, and no attorney-client relationship is formed by your reading of this information. You should always consult with an attorney for any legal situations.]

Check with a local court clerk or local legal aid clinic about getting emancipated, which is a legal action which gives you the same rights as an adult, in otherwords as if you had turned 18 already.

There is some information about the Oklahoma law allowing this here.

Alternatively, and if you don’t want to estrange yourself from your parents, try to work something out with them. You really need them to be supportive, and for your baby to be able to know their grandparents and to have a good relationship with them. Try explaining to them that you think that it’s better that you get married than that you leave home and live with your boyfriend without being married.

You are to be commended for doing the right and responsible thing and, at 16, for being able and prepared to support your child. You have a tough rode ahead of you, both because it’s tough generally to raise a child well, and because people will put up obstacles for you based on your youth. Hang in there.

Share the Knowledge!

Author: Anne P. Mitchell, Esq.

Anne P. Mitchell, Esq. is a noted family law expert, Internet law expert, and Professor of Law at Lincoln Law School of San Jose. She is the author of "Surviving Divorce: the Single Father's Guide" and "The Email Deliverability Handbook"

Leave a Reply