Can a Biological Father Voluntarily Give Up His Parental Rights?

Share the Knowledge!

“Can a biological father voluntarily give up his parental rights?”

[NOTE: Articles and answers on DearEsq., while written and published by lawyers, do not constitute legal advice, and no attorney-client relationship is formed by your reading of this information. You should always consult with an attorney for any legal situations.]

Short answer: no.

Long answer: no, unless the mother has somebody lined up (a subsequent husband) who is willing to adopt the child and assume financial responsibility for the child.

Share the Knowledge!

Author: Anne P. Mitchell, Esq.

Anne P. Mitchell, Esq. is a noted family law expert, Internet law expert, and Professor of Law at Lincoln Law School of San Jose. She is the author of "Surviving Divorce: the Single Father's Guide" and "The Email Deliverability Handbook"

Leave a Reply