A Hit and Run Caused Damage to the Transformer Box of My House; Am I Financially Responsible for Ensuing Power Outage?

Share the Knowledge!

“I am a homeowner. My property has a transformer unit/box on my ground property. On June 2, 2012 an unknown auto hit the box and caused a power outage. The outage was repaired and now the utility company is billing me for the damages because the transformer is on my property. Can they hold me liable to it if it was not me or any family member who caused the damage? The person who did the damage is unknown because it happened overnight while the entire street was asleep. If I am liable, is this something that my homeowner’s insurance should cover?”

[NOTE: Articles and answers on DearEsq., while written and published by lawyers, do not constitute legal advice, and no attorney-client relationship is formed by your reading of this information. You should always consult with an attorney for any legal situations.]

Whether you can be held liable to the utility company is probably a matter of the terms of the easement or other agreement under which they placed their equipment on your property.  That warrants review, but for the moment let’s assume the answer is yes. This is the sort of thing that ought to be covered by your homeowner’s insurance (and if it’s not, you may have been sold the wrong policy).  However, you might not want to make the claim anyway.  Most homeowner’s policies have fairly large deductible amounts, and a history of claims can raise your premiums or even get you canceled. So depending on how much the utility is asking for, and how much that exceeds your deductible amount, you would need to decide if it’s even worth making an insurance claim.

Share the Knowledge!

Author: House Attorney

A house attorney has answered this question.