What Are My Guardianship Rights?

Share the Knowledge!

I signed general power of attorney over to my ex-boyfriend’s mom and step-dad for my daughter. Her father is on probation and isn’t allowed to be around anyone under the age of 17. His parents now say that they can financially take care of my daughter. I found a family member who was willing and now his parents have changed their mind and now they want to have my ex get full custody of my daughter. I was wondering if they can do that because my daughter’s grandma originally said she was revoking her rights of general power of attorney?

[NOTE: Articles and answers on DearEsq., while written and published by lawyers, do not constitute legal advice, and no attorney-client relationship is formed by your reading of this information. You should always consult with an attorney for any legal situations.]

Depending on your parental rights, you may be able to intervene and revoke guardianship from his parents and the grandmother. If you have parental rights, you can file a petition to terminate custody. If you don’t then things will be more complicated for you. Contact a local family law attorney for legal advice.

Share the Knowledge!

Author: House Attorney